Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works Limited was established in mid fifties as a project of Pakistan Industrial Development Corporation (PIDC) and incorporated as a public limited company in 1957, managed by a Board of Directors with Managing Director as the Chief Executive.
Karachi Shipyard is situated at west wharf Karachi and spread over an area of 71 acres. It has a large shipbuilding hall, two block fabrication areas, three shipbuilding berths, two dry docks, a well equipped machine shop and a large grit blasting and painting facility with modern machinery for paint application under controlled environment as per international standards. A ship lift and transfer system with a lifting capacity of 7881 tons and 13 in number parking stations is being installed which is planned to complete by end 2018.
Karachi Shipyard is the only shipyard and oldest heavy engineering establishment of Pakistan, catering for shipbuilding, ship repair and general heavy engineering. It has played a historical role in transferring of technologies and broadening the industrial base of country.